Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Katie's first week of Cubbies

Ok. We have embarke.d upon a new year of AWANA. Stephanie has been in Cubbies for the past two years and did wonderful. She memorized her verses and amazed us greatly over the past two years She has now graduated to Sparks where Chris has moved up with her to help in her class. Last year Katie was in Puggles, a new AWANA group for 2 year olds. I was one of the leaders in Puggles last year and grew so attached to many of the kids in there that I decided to move up with them this year to Cubbies. Now, Puggles was great, but there was not any scripture memorization for the 2 year olds. So, now that we are 3(almost 4 actually) Katie is having to memorize scripture. So, knowing what a challenge Katie is I figure that this will probably be a tough year, but I am definitely going to give it my best with her. Last week was our first week to actually have to sit down and learn verses and this particular week required her to memorize 2 verses(shortened) and the Cubbies motto. Katie already has real issues with sitting still and focusing. So, I am already thinking that is probably going to be a very touch year for us. The first day we sit down to work on our verses and what is Katie doing while I am trying to teach her the verses, just guess? That's right, she was hanging upside down on the couch and all I can think is how this child is so different from her sister and how this year will be the death of me! I just know that my child will never learn the verses and I will look like the worst mom/leader for not teaching my child the verses! So, maybe by now you are wondering how the week went since we are now in our second week. Well, I must say that I did keep working with her despite her constant inability to stay still and the result.....Sunday morning on the way into Sunday School, guess what Katie was doing? You got it, telling her daddy and I all her verses for that week. I was so proud. I guess that even if she does hang upside down on the couch she is still retaining something!

1 comment:

Mark and Abbie's blog said...

Sometimes, Liam and Ace have to do their schoolwork while dancing a jig or running back and forth in the playroom...haven't done upside down yet but I know it's coming. But, I also know they are learning and can see that they are retaining the information. That's just the way they roll!