Sunday, May 18, 2008

God of Mercy and Grace

This has been a tough week. Chris and I went to the visitation Friday night for baby Emma. We stood in a single file line for over two hours to visit with the family. There was such an outpouring of loved ones for them and I was in awe. I walked out of there feeling much better than when I walked in(strange, huh?). There is no other way to describe this than to say that Denny and Vickie had Jesus all over them. You could sense His mighty presence and just their overwhelming peace. The funeral was on Saturday and again you could sense the presence of God. Denny spoke at the memorial service and made it very clear that he was able to stand because of a mighty and holy God. A God that loves us and has made a way for us. He made sure that everyone there knew that Jesus was the only way and that he wanted them to have that same relationship. The service was hard and I can't imagine the pain of loosing a child. I pray that God will continue to fill Denny and Vickie with peace and that they will continue to know that He is still Sovereign and on His throne. You see, God was merciful to this little girl. As Denny said, her life would have been filled with pain because of her disease and yet he had mercy on her and chose to take her home to be with Him. Now she is healed and no longer suffering. While this is hard to swallow, it is a glorious thing when you know that you will see her again one day in heaven. What mercy and grace! The road will not be easy for Emma's parents or her family, but many were blessed by this little girl in just two short months. I have been changed. Her life drew me closer to my heavenly Father and I have sought Him in ways that I never have. My prayer is that I will be forever changed not just temporarily. As a friend said, "We mourn the loss of a healthy child, not her death". Pastor Larry put it very well, "For Emma, life has just begun". This is the truth that I will hold on to in this difficult situation. I pray that I would have this kind of strength and faith in my own trials.

No comments: