Monday, July 21, 2008

The Finished Project

The unveiling of our first phase brough satisfaction and dissappointment. We were very pleased with the look of the walkway, but quickly were saddened to find out that the edges were not very sturdy. My mom was very upset because she had told the man at Lowes what we were doing and he had told us the type of mortar/concret mix we needed to use. She then approached another man on a different occassion and was indeed told that the first man was not correct. Well, given that the project was close to completion, we couldn't turn back, so we improvised. For the next phase, we used a different, stronger mixture. We turned the corners and then had to build up the circle around the crepe myrtle. We leveled and started the circle enough to continue the walkway. We completed the project as much as we could and then we were out of time, money and energy! We added monkey grass around the outer edge to deter walking on the edges and then I purchased more hedges for the other edge to deter walking off that edge. I still have a ways to go by finishing up the bed around the crepe myrtle and continuing the project to the swing. The yard looks completely different and I am so proud of our work(mom and I).
My mom... So, after 1 week, the project we started has come to an end. I have to tell you though that it was not without much sweat and labor. Mom and I worked all day on the walkway and Vicki stayed very busy making sure that mom and I had water and food(a necessity) and she spent the majority of her time tending to my girls. None of this would have been possible without her help and of course my moms. Thanks Mom and Vicki. I love my new walkway.

1 comment:

Kristie Quattlebaum said...

You and your Mom are something else. I wouldn't have the patience to tackle something like this. Can you say, "Wonder Woman?" Is there anything you can't do? Kudos!! --Kristie :)