Monday, July 21, 2008

Sprinkler System

Okay, so this was what I would call an imcomplete project. I have been wanting to "play" with the sprinkler system lately and try to "tweek" it a little bit. So, what better time than when my mom and Vicki are around to keep the kids in check. So, I took off one morning with the intent of digging up and moving two of my sprinkler heads from the side flower beds to the yard(while I was supposed to be helping my mom in the back yard). Every time the sprinkler system would go off these would create huge gullies in my flower bed and it just really needed to be fixed...First let me say that if I had had the heads moved BEFORE I had the flower beds created 7 years ago I would not have been doing this... The first two heads were moved after much digging, a huge, deep, whole I might add!!! Aside from the difficulty digging, the moving wasn't that much trouble and I was quite proud of myself. My mom offered to turn the system on after watching me running back and forth from the garage to the yard trying to adjust the heads. I was soaked afterwards, but this was a definite success. Next, I decided that since that was such a success I would work on the other side of the yard9a different day). I dug another big, deep whole and changed one head from a mister to an oscilator and then decided I needed to work on the ones at the end of the side yard. I capped off two in order to get more pressure and then proceded to dig up another near the fence and try to change the head out. I had been told that in order to get the best coverage on the side yard I would need to actually move three of the heads to a different part of the yard. This was going to require lots of digging in our wonderfully, hard Georgia clay...not going to happen by this woman. So, instead I decided to change from misters to oscilators and see what happened. As I dug up the one at the fence and I finally got to the 'white' pipe, I became aware of a great problem...It was connected by two pipes, one from the back and one from the front yard, both at different levels. This proposed quite a challenge in reconnecting them since they were two different levels. After much force and my mom's help, I reconnected the two and checked to see if there were any leaks. No leaks at the connection...YEAH! However, problem number 2 results...the sprinkler continues to have a steady flow of water from it even after turning off the system.... So much in fact that the big, deep whole filled up with water and created a muddy mess at my fence. At this point my mom tells me that while I have done a wonderful job and should be very proud of myself, it is time to cap it off and call for help. I obeyed with reluctance. After talking to my help, I came home and decided that maybe if I tried a different location this would fix the problem...(what was I thinking). So, this time I made Chris come out and help me redig up one of the ones that I had already capped off and recovered with dirt. Again, Georgia clay presented quite a difficult digging project. We finally dug up and got to the white pipe, again I tried to reconnect(a different day) with a different connection to accomodate an oscilator rather than a mister. This time the connecting was rather difficult and when I turned the sprinkler on the next day, the connection leaked and the sprinkler head still continued to spray a steady stream of water after being turned off. I've decided at this point that I am out of my league on this one. I have turned it over to my HELP and have asked for him to come and fix it. I could keep trying this and that based on his instruction, but I believe that I have given it the old college try and will gladly turn this one over. Now, for all those who are bored out of your gord after reading this, I am sorry. You just had to be there to understand. I am very proud that I even attempted and for the most part I can replace and maintain this thing, but this time I think it has gotten the best of me. The muddy mess!

Sorry, no other pictures available because I don't have any on my camera. Mom, if you see this then send me some more and I'll post them.

No comments: