Sunday, September 28, 2008

Stephanie's First Carolina Game

This is Chris writing the blog. Yesterday was a special day for Stephanie as I took her to her first Carolina game vs. UAB. I promised her last year that I would take her to a game this year. I felt she was finally old enough to make it worthwhile. I have to say I was as excited as she was.
The afternoon started out interesting. As usual, our pregame meal was at Rush's off HWY 378 in Columbia. Stephanie had a JR. BBQ sandwich and I had my usual burger combo. Unfortunately, I was carrying Stephanie and the tray of food and dropped one of the milkshakes which exploded on the floor onto me, Stephanie, and a lady nearby wearing a white shirt! She was very gracious and even offered to go get someone to mop it up. I will remember this next time I get food or drink spilled on me on accident.
From there we went toward our parking spot off Bluff Road. I went the back way on purpose so that Stephanie could get a good appreciation for how big Williams-Brice Stadium was. She was amazed at the size and all of the people wearing garnet and black walking around.
As we proceeded toward the stadium, we had great timing and ran into the band. Stephanie loved hearing the band up close and was ready to go in to cheer on the Gamecocks.
I was hoping to have time to get a picture with either Cocky or the cheerleaders for Stephanie but time ran out on us. We were able to get the Gamecock painted on her face. She was adorable if I must say so myself!
The game went well. She of course had a lot of questions and tried to answer them the best I could for a 4 year old. I told her that football was based on two major principles. First, the team with the ball was trying to get where the letters are. Second, the team without the ball is trying to stop the team from doing that and going for the ball themselves.
The fans around me were great. They just loved the fact that it was her first game and she was so into it. Cotton candy and water help! She was great and very well behaved. I left in the 4th quarter mainly to beat traffic and get back in a reasonable time because sunday school/church were in the morning. She was upset and said "Daddy-the game isn't even over yet". Diehard gamecock fans would be proud. Especially her daddy.

No comments: